You can set an item (product or ingredient) as unavailable from the point of sale, and set a time in which the item will automatically return to available status. Marking a product or ingredient as unavailable will also prevent the sale of any linked items. If an ingredient is unavailable, any products or modifiers that are linked to that ingredient with a recipe will also be unavailable. If a product is unavailable, it will also unavailable for selection in a combo product.
A new role permission lets you control access to this feature. Stock alerts will still work as usual. The difference is that you will not be able to add unavailable items to orders without override permission (see Management Console permissions for more info).
- Enabling Item Availability on the Management Console
- Management Console: Permissions for Unavailable Items
- Marking Items Unavailable on the Point of Sale
Enabling Item Availability on the Management Console
Before you can use the item availability feature on the point of sale, you'll need to enable it in the management console and add it to employee roles as a permission. Item availability is enabled at the establishment and not the brand level.
Item availability is enabled on the Settings tab:
Management Console: Permissions for Unavailable Items
To use the item availability feature, you'll need to add it as a permission to the appropriate employee roles. This lets you choose which employee roles allow the user to mark items as unavailable. You can read about creating roles and adding permissions in Employee Rules and Permissions.
When your roles are ready to go:
- In your Management Console, go to the Employees tab.
- Click POS Permissions
- Find the role that needs permission to use this feature.
- In the column under that role, find Inventory - Item Availability Enabling this for a role will allow a user to manage item availability on the POS.
- In the same column, find Override Add Product Restrictions. A user with this permission will be able to add unavailable items to orders as well as override prompts for users without this permission.
- Click Save
Marking Items Unavailable on the Point of Sale
Unavailable items will be grayed out on the point of sale. If a user tries to add an unavailable item to an order and does not have permission to override item unavailability, they will see a prompt for a PIN. A user with the permission Override Add Products Restriction (see Management Console Permissions) can enter a PIN and add the item. If the original user does have override permission, they will see a prompt that allows them to add the item anyway.
- On the point of sale dashboard, tap Inventory.
- Find the item you want to mark unavailable by scrolling, or type the name of the item into the search field and tap Submit to use the search function.
- Tap the checkmark corresponding to the item in the Available column.
- In the pop-up window:
- Tap the Available slider to mark the item as unavailable.
- To set a time for the item to automatically become available again, tap Set Return Time. Tap Date and then Time to select the day and time for the item to return to availability.