Apple has just released the new version of iPadOS 14 as of September 17, 2020.
This new release has new functionalities pertaining to security and one of those new functionalities affects Revel POS if the option is not enabled the first time using Revel POS after iPadOS 14 has been installed on an iPad. If this option is not enabled, the iPad will not be able to access any network peripherals (ie: barcode scanner, printer, pin pad terminal).
Please note that this new security option affects the Revel POS, Revel CDS (Customer Display System) and Revel KDS (Kitchen Display System) applications so you must enable this option in all applications in your environment on all iPads using Revel.
When you open Revel POS, CDS or KDS for the first time on an iPad that has been updated to iPadOS 14, you will be presented with a security prompt asking for permission to access the local network as shown below.
Revel POS will be named "Revel POS" in the option prompt, while Revel CDS will be named "Display" in the option prompt and Revel KDS will be named "Revel KDS" in the option prompt. The examples below will be for the Revel POS application.
Tap "OK" to allow the Revel POS application to find and use devices on the Revel network.
Please note that this option must be enabled on all Revel POS, Revel CDS (Customer Display System) and Revel KDS (Kitchen Display System) applications or they will not be able to function properly with the Revel peripherals.
If you accidentally top "Don't Allow" at this security prompt, you will not be prompted again in the application and must make a change in the Settings on the iPad.
- Open Settings on the iPad.
- In the left hand window, scroll to the bottom until you see the Revel POS application listed as shown below.
- Tap the application named "Revel POS".
- In the main window, you will see a listing of things that the "Revel POS" application can access on the iPad and that it is currently disabled from accessing the Local Network.
- Tap the button for "Local Network" so that it is now enabled.
- Repeat the process for the Revel CDS and Revel KDS applications as needed for your environment.