Revel's stocktake functionality allows users to divide their stores into sections and conduct a count of inventory in stock. Store associates are assigned to count each section in order to submit the final count(s). The purpose of dividing a store into sections is so that if an actual scan count of a store doesn't match the expected count, a manager can find and correct errors within a small section more easily than across an entire store.
- Setting up Administrative and Employee Stocktake Permissions
- Creating Sections
- Creating a Stocktake
- Creating a Stocktake Template
- Using the Revel Stocktake App
- Viewing a Stocktake in Progress
- Editing Stocktake Figures
- Recounting Stocktake Figures
- Finalizing a Stocktake
- List of Completed Stocktakes
Setting up Administrative and Employee Stocktake Permissions
Before performing a stocktake, you must set up the proper permissions. There are two sets of permissions to set up: the Management Console Permissions and the Point of Sale Role Permissions.
SETTING UP MANAGEMENT CONSOLE PERMISSIONS
- From the Management Console, navigate to Employees > Permissions > Management Console Permissions to set up permissions for Administrative access to Stocktake.
- Click the next to the set of permissions you want to edit.
- Click the + next to the Inventory set of permission tokens. Then select Stocktake:
- Set up the following permissions:
- Stocktake count: read (can access and complete the action), write
- Stocktake sections: read, write, create
- Can complete and adjust inventory: read
- Can complete without inventory adjustment: read
- Can request a stocktake recount: read
- Edit Count Figures on Management Console: read
- Click Save.
SETTING UP POINT OF SALE PERMISSIONS
- From the Management Console, navigate to Employees > Permissions > POS Role Permissions to assign stocktake role permissions for each appropriate employee role.
- Set up the following permissions:
- Stocktake - Application Access: If checked, the user can access the stocktake count section in the stocktake app. This permission does not grant access to make inventory count adjustments.
- Stocktake - Can See Expected Count: If checked, the user can see the expected inventory item count in the stocktake app. You should only check this setting if you want the employee to see the expected inventory item count. This permission replaces the Blind Count setting in Physical Inventory.
- Click Save.
Revel's stocktake feature lets you divide your establishment into smaller sections for stocktaking purposes. You must create at least one section before starting a stocktake. All stocktakes must select from sections that are active in the list of sections.
Revel’s advice is to create fewer rather than lots of sections. It keeps the reports cleaner and easier to read. The reports have been designed for an optimum 2-5 sections. However, there are no limits to the number of sections you can create.
- From the Management Console, navigate to Inventory > Stocktake > Sections.
- Click Create New Section:
- Enter the name of your section.
- Select Variance Section to mark it as a variance section. The variance section is the section of your store where you are likely to sell or return products from while stocktaking. If you sell products from this section while stocktaking this section, Revel takes this into account and continues to produce accurate results, calculating the results for you. If you ask for a recount, the time will be reset until a new count is entered. The variance section movements data will allow you to see what exactly has happened to the stock of that item since you entered its count figure. One section must be designated as a variance section at all times; if you are creating your first section, that section must be the variance section:
- Select Active to enable the section during stocktake creation.
- Click Create to save the section.
Creating a Stocktake
After you have set your permissions and created your section, you can begin a stocktake. To begin a stocktake session:
- From the Management Console, navigate to Inventory and click Stocktake. This opens the New Stocktake page.
- Click Create New Stocktake:
- Enter a description. This field is optional:
- Click Add Items to Selection:
- Select the products, ingredients, or groups of ingredients to add to your stocktake and click Update Items. You may use the search and filter options in the top right area to narrow down your options. If you have many products and ingredients, we recommend filtering by group or class:
- To continue adding items, click Update Changes to select more items:
- Click Save to save your changes. You can continue to edit and save this stocktake's settings any time before beginning the stocktake.
- To freeze the list of products and sections and send the stocktake request to the stocktake app, click Start Stocktaking. Users with the Stocktake - Application Access permission can begin a stocktake at any time after the app receives the request:
Creating a Stocktake Template
If you need to run the same inventory count on a regular basis, you can save it as a template so you don't have to create a new stocktake every time. To create a stocktake template:
- Click My Templates.
- Click Create New Template.
- Enter a name for your template and click Confirm Your template will automatically be saved under My Templates.
To create a template based on an in-progress stocktake:
- On the Stocktake page, click Stocktake In-Progress.
- Click Add to my Templates:
- Enter a name for your template in the pop-up window and click Confirm:
To create a template based on a completed stocktake:
- On the Stocktake page, click Complete.
- Select a stocktake from the list of completed stocktakes to open it.
- Click Add to my Templates.
- Enter a name for your template in the pop-up window and click Confirm.
To create a new stocktake based on a template:
- On the Stocktake page, click My Templates:
- Click the name of a template to select it.
- Click Start Stocktake .
Using the Revel Stocktake App
To count or scan inventory on the stocktake or Point of Sale app, your employee must have the Stocktake - Application Access set under Point of Sale Role Permissions. If you want the employee to view the expected count, that employee's role must also have the Stocktake - Can See Expected Count permission:
To count or scan inventory:
- Log in to the Stocktake or Point of Sale app. From the Point of Sale dashboard, tap Inventory, then Join Stocktake. Alternately, from the stocktake app, log in and tap Stocktake:
- Select a section and tap Count.
- Scan the product or ingredient's barcode using the iOS device’s camera or Bluetooth scanner, enter the product or ingredients name or barcode into the search, or select the product or ingredient from the list. If you want to enable scanning products one by one and increase the count by 1 each time you scan, enable I will scan to count my products. This can be switched off at any time:
- Enter the number of the product counted and tap Confirm:
- After entering a count, the item will move from To Count to Counted. You can still find and edit the count of an item in the Counted tab.
- After entering a count for each item in a section, tap Finish. The section's item counts can no longer be edited unless a recount is requested:
NOTE: All selected items will appear in all sections of the stocktake app. You do not need to count all items in the To Count tab. If you do not count these items, their item count will be blank for this section only. It is possible that you did not find the item you are looking for or that item does not exist in this section.
At any time during the stocktake, you may view an item and view its Count Summary. This provides an overview of how many units have been found in all sections and total quantities of different stock sizes you have found (e.g. units, boxes, crates). If you have the permission enabled, you may also see how many are expected in total and the current calculated variance.
After all sections have been marked as Finished or Locked, a manager or owner will then need to finalize the stocktake in the Management Console.
Viewing a Stocktake in Progress
You can view a stocktake in progress via the Management Console. If the stocktake app is online, then the stocktake updates in near real time to the Management Console as the stocktake progresses. You can also refresh your browser to view updated data:
- Item Name: The name of the item.
- Barcode or SKU: The barcode or SKU of the item. At least one of these is required to perform a stocktake.
- Stocktaking Data (Units): Displays the data as taken by the stocktaking app. Each section has its own column for each item. When a count figure appears, you can hover over it and view who counted it and when. The last two columns consist of:
- Variance Section Movement: The assumed amount of items moved into or out of the section during the inventory, counted on an item-by-item basis. When a stock figure is entered for an item in this section, the stocktake app also records a time stamp. All further movements of this item are tracked and presented here as a positive or negative figure. All movements will be tracked as the system has no way of physically knowing a movement came to or from that section.
- Actual on Hand: The number of items actually on hand. This is calculated by: sum of items in each section + variance
- Inventory System Data (Units): The inventory data as shown and calculated by the Management Console. Columns here include:
- Snapshot: The theoretical inventory value for that item when the stocktake was started in the Management Console.
- Movement While Stocktaking in Progress: Any sales, deliveries, waste, or other movement of units after the snapshot was taken. Note that this value differs from variance as it is calculated against the snapshot, not the count.
- Expected on Hand: The expected number on hand, as calculated by the sum of the snapshot and the movement while stocktaking in progress columns. This number is what the Management Console thinks you should have.
- Variance (Units): The difference between the Actual on Hand value from the Stocktaking Data column and Expected on Hand value from the Inventory System Data column. This value may be negative if the Expected on Hand value is larger than Actual on Hand.
- Cost of 1 (Units): The cost of one unit.
- Value of variance: The total value of the variance, calculated by multiplying the Variance (Units) column by the Cost of 1 (Units). Value of variance is calculated accurately for Weighted Average Cost. You will not see a calculated value with FIFO and LIFO accounting methods.
To cancel a stocktake, click Complete with No Adjustment at any time.
Editing Stocktake Figures
If you have the proper Management Console permissions, you can edit stocktake counts in the Management Console without requesting a recount. This is useful if you know the proper stocktake count but do not want to request a full recount.
Since editing a stocktake's count is permission-controlled, the employee editing the counts must have the Edit Count Figures on Management Console permission.
You can only edit counts for a stocktake in progress after all sections have been locked. Finalized stocktakes cannot be edited; however, edits to stocktakes in progress are highlighted in the final report.
To edit a stocktake count:
- In the Management Console, navigate to Stocktake.
- Click Edit Selection:
- The stocktake page will reload, and you will see an underline in each editable cell. Hover over and click a cell to edit it:
- Enter the new count in each cell you want to edit.
- Click Save. You'll then see a prompt telling you that you have made edits. Click Proceed. All variances will be recalculated.
Recounting a Selection
You can request a recount of an item or section without requesting a recount of all sections. This is useful when you know some data is inaccurate and do not know the correct total to edit it, but you do not want to request a full section recount.
To recount a selection:
- In the Management Console, navigate to Stocktake.
- Click Recount Selection:
- Select the items to be recounted by clicking on the number. You can also click the product name to recount that product in all sections. To request a recount for a full section, click the section column name:
- Click Submit to send the items back for recount.
- You will see a prompt stating that you are about to submit items for recount. Click Proceed to submit the items.
- After confirming, the items will be sent to the stocktake app for recount. Employees who access the stocktake app can then recount the items.
Finalizing a Stocktake
When the stocktake is complete in the app, employees with the proper stocktake permissions can mark the stocktake as complete. Two options are available here: complete with or without adjustment. You can also request to recount all sections without completing the stocktake.
If some items were never counted during the stocktake, you may default all uncounted items to 0 before finalizing the stocktake. To do this, activate the toggle next to Default Uncounted Items to 0. This action will enter a 0 for any item that does not have a value entered in any section. This action cannot be undone after you save your stocktake. Any uncounted items display in bold in stocktake reports.
You may also enter an adjustment note in the Adjustment Note section before selecting one of the following options:
- Click Recount All to request a recount of all sections. Data is then transferred to the Stocktake app for a recount of all items in all sections. The stocktake is not marked as complete.
- Click Complete with Adjustment: Inventory is updated with the data from the stocktake. The stocktake is complete.
- Click Complete with No Adjustment: Inventory within the Management Console is not changed based on the inventory results. The stocktake is complete.
List of Completed Stocktakes
You can view a full list of completed stocktakes from the Management Console. A full total value of variance adjustments year to date displays above the full list of stocktakes. This value resets yearly at midnight on January 1.
- Stocktake Number: The stocktake number, assigned by the Management Console. This is a unique identifier given in sequential order for each stocktake created and completed.
- Stocktake Title: The stocktake title, as entered by the stocktake creator.
- Start Date: The stocktake start date, noted when an employee clicks "Start stocktaking" in the Management Console.
- By: The employee who starts the stocktake by clicking "Start" in the Management Console.
- Completion Date: The stocktake completion date, noted when an employee clicks "Complete with Adjustment" or "Complete without Adjustment" in the Management Console.
- By: The employee who completes the stocktake by clicking "Complete with Adjustment" or "Complete without Adjustment".
- Variance (Lines): Number of products with a variance.
- Variance (Units): The variance of individual stock units within the item. Note that this is the base unit of measure as defined on the product or ingredient. The difference between the Actual on Hand and Expected on Hand values. This value may be negative if the Expected on Hand value is larger than Actual on Hand. It can be positive if the reverse is true.
- Adjusted Variance Value: Value of the adjusted variance. For each stocktake, at most one of the adjusted or not adjusted variance values are non-zero.
- Not Adjusted Variance Value: Value of not adjusted variance. For each stocktake, at most one of the adjusted or not adjusted variance values are non-zero.
Clicking an individual stocktake shows the details of that stocktake, which displays with the same columns as a stocktake in progress. You may export the stocktake report to Excel or PDF or re-create the same stocktake with the same active sections and products.