This article notes the steps to install QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop. Before installing the current version of QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop, please check the System Requirements here.
- First, you will need to Download (if you have not already done so) QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale. See the Download QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop article for more information.
- Go to the location where QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale was saved when you downloaded and double-click the QuickBooks Point of Sale executable file (ex. QBPOSv18.exe) to run the Point of Sale installation.
- Click Yes to All if prompted to overwrite the existing extracted files.
- Click Next to begin the installation.
- Read the Software License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Enter your License and Product numbers and click Next.
- Click Next.
- Select the number of computers to be used for Point of Sale.
- Single User: Select Only this computer and follow the installation process.
- Multiple Users: Choose Two or more computers and select if it is the Server or Client workstation
- Server Workstation: A Server workstation is the first workstation to which QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale is installed. Server workstation create and hold your company data.
- Client workstation: The client workstation is usually the cash register used to assist customers in their daily sales and have simultaneous access to the program.
Note: If you need to change the installation type of POS from server to workstation or vice versa, you have to uninstall and reinstall the program.
- Click Install to continue, or click Back if you need to go back and review any of the previous screens.
- You may need to restart your computer and then open QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to get started.
- After installation, activate QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale and you’re all set.