This article notes how to upgrade or convert your Company File (Database) after installing a new version of QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop. You update your company file by converting it to the new version.
Important things to remember before upgrading your company file:
- Backup your Company File before you begin and copy it to a different folder than your regular backups.
- Only the SysAdmin can update the file
If you never created other users and roles in Point of Sale, you are automatically the SysAdmin. If you do not seeCompany Operations under the File menu, then you are not signed in as the SysAdmin.
- The Company File Conversion / Upgrade can only be done on the POS Server.
It is recommended to convert your file on the server workstation or the computer where the file is locally saved. This is to prevent damaging the company file during conversion.
- The company file cannot be reverted to the old version after it has been upgraded
It is not possible to revert to the older version of your file after it has been converted to the newer version.
To upgrade your company data file:
Make sure your new version of Point of Sale is on the latest release.
- Open the new version of QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
- From the File menu, go to Company Operations.
- Choose the option to Convert from previous version and click Next.
- Enter the Company Name for your converted data file and select the Previous Version of Point of Sale that you are converting from.
- After the conversion process completes, you can access all of your data in the new version of Point of Sale.
- If the conversion of your data file is unsuccessful, you may restore from your most recent backup file made in your previous version of Point of Sale
- If converting or restoring your file did not work, escalate the file to Data Services to convert to the newer version.