When security programs block QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale ports, the following processes can be interrupted
- Electronic Funds Transfer: Intuit Merchant Services credit card processing
- Database Server Manager: (Server installation only) Ability to connect and record transactions/changes to the company file.
- Intuit Entitlement Service: Product license and user validation
When firewall blocks connectivity between the server and client workstations, Point of Sale automatically configures the firewall for you, however, there are times that manual configuration is required.
- You need to have Windows Administrator rights in order to perform the steps outlined in this article.
- If you are using a third party security program, make sure to add the Firewall Ports and Executable files that QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale require.
- Contact the developer of your third party security program for steps on how to add port and file exemptions.
Configure Windows firewall
- On your keyboard, press Windows+R to open the run command.
- Type in control and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- Set the "view by" to Small Icons and select Windows Firewall.
- Select Advanced Settings and click Inbound.
- Click New Rule.
- Select Port and click Next.
- Enter the port numbers and click Next (See Point of Sale Firewall Ports section).
- Select Allow Connection and click Next.
- Name your firewall rule (e.g. POS) and click Finish
- Follow steps 5-9 to create a new Outbound Rule.
Point of Sale Firewall Ports
TCP (Incoming): 8040, 8443, 8036, 8035, 8025, 8024, 46228, 46225, 46216-46220, 46203,
UDP (Outgoing): 8036, 8035, 8024, 2638
Executable files and their required Ports
443 - EFTSvr.exe : Throughout operation, Merchant Service transactions
8443 - EFTSrv.exe : Throughout operation, Merchant Service transactions
2638 - DataImporter.exe, EFTSvr.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBDBMgrN.exe, QBPOSDBServiceEx.exe :
Conversion from previous version, Changing currently running database., Startup, Detecting change to QBDatabases.ini, Help > Manage my license, Throughout operation
46203, 46204 - EFTSvr.exe, QBDBMgrN.exe, QBPOS.exe : Throughout operation,
Changing currently running database
8024, 8025 - QBPOS.exe, Setup.exe : Web installation, License verification,
Eftsvr.exe (v9 &lower), DataImporter.exe, QBPOS.exe, QBPOSShell.exe (v10 & higher)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX\
C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX\
QBDBMgr.exe, QBDBMgrN.exe, QBPOSDBService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX\DatabaseServer\
C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX\DatabaseServer\