- Use only computers with actively supported operating systems and up to date software.
- Do NOT browse the internet, use Social Media or send and receive email on ANY computer or device that is on the same network as a computer used for QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop or QuickBooks Desktop Accounting.
o A device is a tablet, smartphone or laptop.
- Purchase and Configure a commercial grade Network Router.
- Configure each computer on the Point of Sale / Accounting network with a Standard Windows User account and an Administrator User account.
o Administrator account is only to be used when Hardware / Software changes are made.
o Standard Windows User account is used ALL the time.
- Each computer on the Point of Sale / Accounting network is to have both antivirus and firewall software installed AND configured properly.
o Configure to have daily updates and daily full virus scans.
o Daily review of updates and scans to verify completion.
o iPOS uses BitDefender Managed Internet Security. Click here to read more.
- Configure 2 Point of Sale and Accounting database backups daily.
o Mid-Day and End of Day.
o Confirm backups completed successfully, daily.
- Install and Configure an Offsite Backup application.
o Confirm Offsite Backup completed successfully, daily.
o iPOS offers a Managed Offsite Backup Application. Click here to read more.
- Configure each computer to install Windows updates automatically.
o Confirm updates have installed and restart computer if necessary.
o Windows Updates are released on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month.
On the 2nd and 4th Wednesday check if updates are waiting to be installed, Restart the computer to install.
An update waiting to be installed will be noted when you go to Shutdown or Restart.
- All wireless connectivity MUST either be contained to a guest wireless network or properly segmented wireless network.
- All wireless connectivity must have proper security.
- All credentials for software and hardware access need to be updated on a regular basis, i.e., passwords changed every 30, 45 or 60 days.
- Passwords need to be strong (at least 8 characters consisting of upper and lower case letters, at least 1 number and at least 1 special character).
- Configure the screen saver in Windows to lock the screen after a couple of minutes.
o Require password to unlock the screen saver.
- It is highly recommended that any passwords used do not contain any of the following pieces of information:
o Name, Nickname, Username, Child’s name, Birthdates, Any other type of personally identifiable piece of information.
- When an employee leaves your company, disable their credentials immediately.
- To learn about best practices for QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop and QuickBooks Accounting Desktop Security, click here.
Have more questions? Submit a request